Why Tcl/Tk?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 2 12:29:38 EDT 2005

Thomas Bartkus <thomasbartkus at comcast.net> wrote:

> "William Park" <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> news:97c93$42e80da0$d8fe9d88$9743 at PRIMUS.CA...
> > Jerry He <rebound1618 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I'm a little curious, why does most scripting
> > > languges(i.e. python and ruby) use Tcl/Tk rather than
> > > wx or Fox as its standard GUI? Although I did notice
> > > that the Vpython IDE that uses Tkinker starts up a lot
> > > faster than the DrPython IDE that uses wxpython. But
> > > that makes no sense, Tk is based on Tcl, a scripting
> > > language, but wx is written in C++.
> >
> > Old habits die hard.  Soon, these folks will die off, and we'll be left
> > with GTK+ or wxWidgets.
> >

> Ahhh! That devilish little "or"
>
> If we only knew which one :-)
> Thomas Bartkus

If you're C, then GTK+.  If you're C++, then wxWidgets.  Since I do C
mostly, I looked into GTK+ (actually, stared at the doc for 2 weeks and
absorbed what I can through osmosis) and decided to include GTK+
interface into Bash shell.  Here is the result:
    http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/index.html#gtk

--
William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell