GUI programming, embedding, real time plots, etc.

Madhusudan Singh spammers-go-here at spam.invalid
Fri Aug 5 21:42:22 EDT 2005

Hi

I am still a rookie at python (can do some basic programming with the
language), and have been using python gpib and matplotlib to control my
instruments and do real time plots. Since I have more than one instrument
to control, I was thinking of writing a GUI using Tkinter (looked at Page,
but it not have a debian package and I saw quite a few bugs listed -
Tkinter seems mature). I have some questions :

1. In using matplotlib (my code essentially involved creating a plot and
show()'ing it inside a loop), the color of the plot changed. Is there a way
to tell matplotlib to not treat each new invocation as a new plot, but to
really overwrite the old one ?

2. Is it possible to embed the matplotlib o/p in the o/p GUI ?

3. Are there some other caveats that I should be aware of in using
matplotlib ?