Speed quirk: redundant line gives six-fold speedup

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Aug 25 13:22:08 EDT 2005

Mark Dickinson wrote:

> Questions:
>
> (1) Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour, or is it just some quirk
>     of my setup?
> (2) Any possible explanations?  Is there some optimization that kicks
>     in at a certain number of lines, or at a certain length of
>     bytecode?
> (3) If (2), is there some way to force the optimization, so that I can
>     get the speed increase without having to add the extra lines?

I see no difference in execution times, as expected.  The most likely
explanation is simply that other things were going on on your system
when you ran the first test, but not the second test, resulting in the
discrepancy.  In other words, the speed change had nothing to do with
your dummy lines.

   There never was a good war or a bad peace.
   -- Benjamin Franklin