OpenSource documentation problems

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Aug 29 21:48:30 EDT 2005

"Adriaan Renting" <renting at astron.nl> writes:
> Marked -1 Flamebait, but I'll respond anyway.

Yup.

> I do agree that a lot of OSS projects seem to lack somewhat in the
> documentation department, compared to a lot of commercial software.

You know what? My experience is just the opposite. Commercial software
(at lest for Windows and OS X end user applications) often comes with
*no* documentation whatsoever. The few exceptions I've encountered
seldom installed it - if you wanted to look at it, you had to get the
distribution media and copy it by hand.

Instead, you get online help. While the latter is valuable, it's not a
substitute for good documentation.

           <mike