Bug in string.find; was: Re: Proposed PEP: New style indexing,was Re: Bug in slice type

Paul Rubin http
Tue Aug 30 04:34:32 EDT 2005

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
> > Really it's x[-1]'s behavior that should go, not find/rfind.
>
> I complete disagree, x[-1] as an abbreviation of x[len(x)-1] is extremely
> useful, especially when 'x' is an expression instead of a name.

There are other abbreviations possible, for example the one in the
proposed PEP at the beginning of this thread.

> But even
> if -1 were not a legal subscript, I would still consider it a design error
> for Python to mistype a non-numeric singleton indicator as an int.

OK, .find should return None if the string is not found.