Email client in Pyhton

Michael Ekstrand mekstran at scl.ameslab.gov
Wed Aug 24 11:07:32 EDT 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:15:01 +0530 (IST)
knaren at midascomm.com wrote:
> now i am planning to write a bear minimum email client in
> pyhton. i found the smtp module of python could serve my
> pupose. I can send message using mails using the smtp lib.
> Now i'm looking for some modules which can help me in
> fetching the mails from the mailserver and managing folders.

Check out the POP and IMAP modules (poplib and imaplib), the email
package, and the mailbox and mhlib modules (all in the standard
library). I seem to recall seeing a maildir module somewhere, but can't
find it now. IIRC, many of the mailbox modules (such as mailbox and
mhlib) are read-only, but they should provide a good starting point.

> I also look for some existing mail client, written in python
> which wud serve my cause.

Mahogany Mail isn't written in Python, but it uses wxWidgets and has an
embedded Python interpreter.

A quick Google for "python email client" (sans quotes) revealed the
following useful links:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/usablemail/
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-August/177139.html

-Michael