Jargons of Info Tech industry

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Fri Aug 26 07:21:32 EDT 2005

Denis Kasak <denis.kasak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike Schilling wrote:
>>
>> Threaded mail-readers too, screen-based editors , spell-checkers, all
>> useless frills.
>
> Interestingly enough, I have explained my opinion in the part of the
> post you have trimmed. On the other hand, things you mentioned are far
> from being useless. They introduce no intrinsical slowdown due to
> increased bandwidth consumation, nor potential security problems.

You can't be sure: errors in the handling of threads can cause a buffer
overflow, same for spelling checking :-D

> They
> have no downsides I can possibly think of

Some people never use them, and hence they use memory and add risks.

> and have many advantages. They
> are useful. HTML on Usenet is not.

Of course can HTML be useful on Usenet. The problem is that it will be much
more often abused instead of used.

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/