Jargons of Info Tech industry

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Aug 26 21:20:46 EDT 2005

John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> writes:
> It's time consuming because there is (yet) no need for it. When I
> started to use Usenet there where only a handful of clients (IIRC), nn
> and another one (rn?) are the only ones that I can recall.

By the time nn was out, there were a number of radically diffrent
alternatives. The original news client (not NNTP - it predated that)
was readnews. rn was the first alternative to gain any popularity. By
the time it came out, there were alterntiave curses-based readers like
notes and vnews. By the time nn came out, there were even X-based news
readers available like xrn and xvnews.

It may be that the site you were at only offered a few readers. But
that's a different issue.

All of this is from memory, of course - and may well be wrong.

       <mike