Newbie question: Sub-interpreters for CAD program

sonicSpammersGoToHellSmooth sonicsmooth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 00:20:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

Actually I was thinking of doing the bulk of everything in Python, and
then embedding a Python interpreter into the CAD program.  Anything in
C++ would be to speed up critical things, like rules checking, etc.  I
have looked at python cad (found it a year or two ago) and am inspired
by it; I'm glad someone's done the legwork, although it's a long way
from anything EDA related (well, the 2d stuff could be used for
schematics).  I have also looked at gEDA and found it lacked the
"modern feel" I'm looking for.  It seems people are stuck on batch
processing of text descriptions, and NOT integrating completely the
front-to-back design process.  I'd like to write something that
(eventually) would actually have an install program and run like a
normal app, on Windoze or Linux.  Most of my experience with open
source software is that it's not user-oriented.  Finally, if I write
something that's cool, I may try to make money from it, which means I'm
not sure how much I'm going to want to release to the general public.
This means I can't use code from pythonCad, etc., if I want to keep it
propietary.  I could make it free for noncommercial use.  Anyway,
that's a long way off.  My original question was about how to run an
interpreter within the interpreter, and whether that's what needs to be
done to have some scripting capabilities which separated the user's
code from the main application.

Michael