close failed: [Errno 0] No error goes to stdout

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Aug 29 16:31:04 EDT 2005

Yoav wrote:
> I run a Java command line program. The point is, that it's not the
> program that output this error message for sure. And I don't expect
> popen3() to catch and report errors. I just want to keep my screen
> output clean, and I expect popen3() to run the program and not let
> anything slip to the screen, after all as I understood it is supposed to
> capture STDERR and STDOUT, but maybe I didn' t understand it right (it's
> quite probable). Anyway anyway I can do such a thing?

It would be helpful if you could verify your theory by running the
program from the command line with standard AND error output
redirection, verifying that no output at all apears on the console when
you type

cmd > /tmp/stdout 2>/tmp/stderr

You are correct in supposing that popen3 is supposed to trap all stdout
and stderr output.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/