global interpreter lock

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 30 21:28:52 EDT 2005

bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:15:34 GMT, Bryan Olson <fakeaddress at nowhere.org> wrote:
>>Mike Meyer wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > Well, share!
>>
>>Uh, where have you been? I keep explaining that concurrency
>>systems have improved vastly in recent years. For a long time,
>>the most sophisticated software services generally have used
>>multiple lines of execution, and now that's mostly in the form
>>of threads. No one actually disagrees, but they go right on
>>knocking the modern methods.
>
> I think Mike is asking for references/citations/links to the
> "concurrency systems" and "modern methods" you are talking about ;-)
> (I'd be interested too ;-)

Yup. I know systems are getting more concurrent. I also find that the
tools in popular languages for dealing with concurrency suck. I know
of some of these tools myself, but they either have restrictions on
the problems they can solve (like async I/O) or don't integrate well
with Python (like SCOOP).

So I'm definitely interested in learning about other alternatives!

      <mike