Recommendations for CVS systems

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 9 21:47:07 EDT 2005

geskerrett at hotmail.com writes:

> I was wondering if anyone could make recomendations/comments about CVS
> systems, their experiences and what perhaps the strengths of each.

Perforce. it costs money, but it's worth it. My current client uses
subversion, and I generally wind up cursing at it at least once a
day. Perforce is much smarter about merges and dealing with
branches. Also, if you like using Unix tools to do things like search
your sources or build tags files, Perforce doesn't leave turds in your
development tree.

> Currently we have 2 developers but expect to grow to perhaps 5.

You can use the unlicensed server with two developers (and two
clients). I'd recommend giving it a try. If you don't like it, there
are tools to convert the repository to subversion, which seems to be
gettign the most support in your replies.

> Most of the developement is Python, but some C, Javascript, HTML, etc.

Perforce integrates really well with python - it can be told to output
marshalled python objects. There's also a nice wrapping for the
perforce library available from PyPI. Building tools to get perforce
to enforce policy in Python is a snap.

> The IDE what have been using/experimenting with are drPython and
> eclipse with PyDev.

Can't help about that. It integrates nicely with Emacs, and things
that use MS's standard API for talking to source source code control
systems on Windows.

        <mike