Best way to 'touch' a file?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 23 08:23:40 EDT 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>
>>You've quoted selectively.  He also said "Unix-style 'touch'", from
>>which one could quite legitimately infer
>
> nope.  read his post again.

Sigh.  You're being tiring, Fredrik:

'''I'm looking for an easy way to perform a UNIX-style "touch", to
update the modification time of a file without actually modifying it.'''

And if your point is that I spelled UNIX in mixed case, and change the
double quotation marks to single quotation marks, you really need to
take a break.

If your point is that this statement *clearly and unambiguously* rejects
the create-if-missing feature as undesirable, then I can say only that
you are simply wrong.

-Peter