while c = f.read(1)

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Thu Aug 25 02:59:47 EDT 2005

Op 2005-08-24, Magnus Lycka schreef <lycka at carmen.se>:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> I think he did, because both expression are not equivallent
>> unless some implicite constraints make them so. Values where
>> both expressions differ are:
>>
>>   start1=67, stop1=9, start2=10, stop2=29
>
> Ouch! That didn't occur to me. How sloppy to just assume that
> time periods can't end before they start.

I have no trouble that you assume a time period starts before
it ends.

But two pieces of code that only give the same result under
particular assumptions are not equivallent. For all I know
his code might work without this assumption and thus be
usefull in circumstances where yours is not.

Maybe someone uses a convention where time intervals that
stop before they start can have some meaning.

Equivallent code IMO always gives the same results, not
only under the particular constraints you are working with.

> I'll shut up now. You win,
> I'm obviously the idiot here, and Python's must be
> redesigned from ground up. Pyrdon maybe?

If I ever design a language it'll be called: 'Queny'

--
Antoon Pardon