Wheel-reinvention with Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 2 20:17:45 EDT 2005

Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> writes:
>> > Regardless, when you say "Unix", what do you mean?  You may as well say
>> > "OS" as this term has little meaning.  Linux (which flavor)?  BSD?  SCO?
>> > HPUX?  OS/X?  Minix?   Whichever way, I suspect that a bit of distutils
>> > hacking would solve your problem.
>>
>> I think the post I replied to covered the OS X case - there's an
>> application bundler available for it already.
>
> Yes, I've used it to bundle wxPython apps on 10.3.
>
>> I want distributions that will work on all three major BSD variants
>> and most Linux distrubtions - in particular, anything that uses deb's,
>> rpm's or emerge. If you want to choose one in particular, try ubuntu
>> Linux.
>
> OpenBSD: in portage
> FreeBSD: in portage
> 386BSD: don't know... does anyone still use this?
> NetBSD: included AFAICT
> Fedora: rpms available
> Debian: debs available
> Ubuntu: included
> Gentoo: in portage
> OS/X:  available on wxpython.org

Um - you're not answering the question I asked. I asked "What app do I
use to bundle my applications for Unix, ala py2exe (or whatever it is)
for Windows?" You're telling me how to install wxPython on those
platforms.

I know how to install wxPython. What I want to know is how to build an
application bundle for all those Unix systems for a Python app I use
that includes wxPython - or any other third party libraries I may be
using.

        <mike