Should I move to Amsterdam?

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Thu Aug 25 06:23:36 EDT 2005

>MPH> Of course this is all done with public transport and/or bike, not without
>MPH> reason.
>MPH> Personal transportation sucks in the Netherlands, if you live in the
>MPH> Randstad (the area of the above mentioned cities) and you have to travel
>MPH> across the Randstad, you go with the bike and/or bus/tram/metro/train
>MPH> because that is the fastest way of transportation.

That depends very much on where you live and where you have to go (mostly
on the number of changes of transport vehicle). I, for example live in a
small village, 11 km from my work in Utrecht. By bus it is 45-60 minutes,
by bike 40 min. and by car (rush hour) usually 20-25 min. Only when
something serious happens it can be 45 min. by car. This happens about
once a year. Most of the time I take the bike, but not for the speed. It is
actually a pleasant ride, mainly through woods and meadows.

My daughter worked some years ago in Nieuwegein, adjacent to Utrecht. By
car 20 min., by public transport 60-90 min. And this is not in some remote
area, but just in the center of the country, one of the most densely
populated areas.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org