Sandboxes

42 nospam at nospam.com
Sat Aug 20 14:49:50 EDT 2005

In article <3mog8aF17j66oU1 at uni-berlin.de>, deets at nospam.web.de says...
> > Would this sufficient? Are there any drawbacks or giant gaping holes?
> > I'm anticipating that I'd also need to block 'exec' and 'eval' to
> > prevent an import from being obfuscated past the pre-parse.
> >
> > Or is this a hopeless cause?
>
> Yes. There have been numerous discussions about this, and there are so
> many different ways to overcome such imposed limitations - it won't work.
>

> > Finally, either way, would anyone recommend a different script engine
> > that might be more suitable for what I'm trying to accomplish that I
> > might not have looked at. I don't need much; it needs to work with C#,
> > and be able to easily interact with 'published' interface. I'd also like
> > to leverage a "popular" language instead of something obscure.
>
> Maybe LUA? I only heard that it's well suited for such tasks.
>
> The overall question for me is: Why crippled acess at all? What do you
> fear your users could do that harms you or others? There are of coures
> valid reasons, I don't question that generally. E.g. applets and the
> like. So what is the actual usecase?

Basically I just want a language to allow users to write macros,
interact with application objects, set property values, sequence
operations, supporting loops and branch logic and so forth.

Something along the lines of a drawing program that allowed uers to
write and/or download scripts to perform batches of arbitrary
(parameterized) operations.

e.g.scripts along the lines of:

function drawfan(x,y,r)
i=45
while (i<90)
	if i.isEven()
		color=red;
	else
		color=blue;
	PublishedInterface.Drawline(x,y, x+r*sin(i), y+r*cos(i),color)
	i++
end while

I want the 'worst case' a malicious script to be able to accompish to be
a program crash or hang.

regards,