Oreilly CodeZoo

richard richardjones at optushome.com.au
Mon Aug 8 02:13:48 EDT 2005

gene tani wrote:
> http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/08/codezoo_program_1.html
>
> http://python.codezoo.com/
>
> Nice to see that python is in-demand, but what is the rationale for
> another ASPN cookbook/Parnassus / pypackage / dmoz type repository?

We (PyPI / Cheese Shop developers) are talking to the CodeZoo people about
the relationship between the two systems. Things PyPI has:

1. python setup.py register
2. python setup.py (sdist|bdist|bdist_egg|bdist_wininst|...) upload
3. http://cheeseshop.python.org/
4. better categorisation (IMO)
5. XML-RPC interface
6. 852 packages registered

The things that CodeZoo has:

1. reviews, user tips and ratings
2. a full-time editor to make sure that the reviews are reasonable
3. links to O'Reilly articles
4. a big DOWNLOAD button. hurm, that's a good idea, I should add one of
   those to the PyPI interface... I hope no-one has that patented
5. DOAP (being added to PyPI)
6. Ads in the top bar and a sidebar (hehe)

Getting links from PyPI over to the CodeZoo information would be pretty
easy. Getting links from the CodeZoo pages to PyPI information / packages
would be pretty easy.

     Richard