.pth files in working directory

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 31 08:15:40 EDT 2005

Peter Maas wrote:
> My goal is to have the top level of a directory tree in the Python
> path without touching anything outside the directory. I tried to
> create .pth files with the top level path in every subdirectory
> but this doesn't work despite working directory being part of the
> Python path.
>
> Creating the pth file in .../site-packages works but I prefer to
> have everything inside the directory tree so that removing the tree
> is sufficient for a complete uninstall. Any hints are appreciated,
> thanks.

Not sure from the above description exactly what it is you want, but
generally such non-standard sys.path and .pth manipulations are best
handled by a sitecustomize.py file, possibly which makes its own calls
to site.addsitedir() and such.  Try "help(site)" for more.

In this case, I think you'd have a sitecustomize.py which looks for .pth
files in the current directory and calls site.addsitedir(), but I'm not
sure.  Maybe if this doesn't work, an example would clarify things.

-Peter