Traceback Questions

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 12:46:34 EDT 2005

ncf wrote:

> I'm just beginning with tracebacks, building off of what I see in
> asyncore's compact_traceback code, in order to hopefully store all the
> values from the location in which the exception occured.
>
> I'm actually trying to make this into a python bug report system for my
> current project, and am seeking advice on how to use sys.exc_info()[2]
> better (the traceback element)
>
> Does anyone have any advice on how I'd preform a traceback-based
> bugreport-like system? The more I work on this, the more I'm confusing
> myself. :\

You may want to look at ipython's CrashHandler system:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/file/ipython/trunk/IPython/CrashHandler.py

It does all of what you've described in your post automatically.  Some of it is
ipython-specific, but it should be easy enough to tweake it for your needs.

For download links (the above is an SVN source browsing link):

http://ipython.scipy.org

At some point I should really abstract this out, there seems to be a need for
it out there.

Cheers,