OpenSource documentation problems

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 30 05:58:09 EDT 2005

Bryan Olson wrote:
> Adriaan Renting wrote:
> [...]
>
>  > I do agree that a lot of OSS projects seem to lack somewhat in
>  > the documentation department, compared to a lot of commercial
>  > software. I would give the man page of gcc as an example, it's
>  > just one 6600 line blurb.
>
> I don't see any need to look beyond Python for a good example of
> poor documentation.  Are there serious Python programmers who
> don't constantly struggle with errors and omissions in the doc?

There certainly are some areas where the documentation could be
improved, but on the whole I think it's pretty good. I guess I'm not
what you call a serious Python programmer, but still so far the
documentation has provided answers to practically all questions I had.

> I don't mind the 6600 line blurb form, just so long as the info
> is there and is correct.

I agree. And on the whole I like manpages better than GNU's info system.
info is good for providing background information and an overview of how
everything works, but when I need a reference about command line options
or config file settings, my experience is that I can find the needed
information much easier in man pages.

Roel Schroeven