Wheel-reinvention with Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 2 20:48:51 EDT 2005

Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> writes:
>>>project I've found, but still doable.
>> Well, I've got a long history of installing things from source -
>> going
>> back to v6. On OS X, I like the darwin ports stuff, so I tried that:
>> % sudo port install wxpython
>> It blew up trying to compile wxpython. The multitude of dependencies
>> all seemed to build find. Building wxpython from the source
>> distribution by hand doesn't seem to fair any better.
>
> To build wxPython from source, you really need to follow Robin's
> detailed instructions in BUILD.txt, located somewhere in the source
> tree (I have to look for it every time, but I think it is in
> wxSrc/wxPython/docs/BUILD.txt). It isn't difficult but there's more to
> it than the standard ./configure;make;make install.

I found BUILD.txt. I followed it to the letter. It still blew
up. There may be a problem with Tiger that hasn't been reported yet
(yeah, I know - I really ought to report it...).

Then again, it could be a problem with trying to install it on the
darwin ports Python 2.4 package instead of the 2.3.5 that Tiger ships
with.

> I think you'll find that wxPython installs perfectly on Tiger using
> the package provided. Indeed, the only really painful platform to
> install wxPython on is Linux, where you pretty much need to build from
> source if you want the latest and greatest.

Well, it built just fine on my FreeBSD box. Then again, I've generally
found installing from source on FreeBSD to be easier than installing
RPM's on Linux. I'll probably copy THE over to my FreeBSD box and try
it there.

        thanks,
        <mike