Spaces and tabs again

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Aug 13 06:07:28 EDT 2005

Hello, I know this topic was discussed a *lot* in the past, sorry if it
bores you...

>From the Daily Python-URL I've seen this interesting Floating Point
Benchmark:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/fourmilog/archives/2005-08/000567.html

This is the source pack:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/fbench/fbench.zip

I've read its Python sourcecode, probably there few things that can be
changed to speed it up some (like moving the main code in a function,
using Psyco, or even vectorizing it with numarray), but I've had
problems in changing the code because it mixes tabs and spaces for the
indentations.
I like a lot how Python uses indentations, I've never had problems with
them in my programs, but I have big problems when I find a source that
mixes them (I often need time to find how much spaces a tab is, to try
to convert them all in spaces).
I know that some people likes tabs, and other people likes spaces, so
probably a single standard cannot be enforced, but I think the python
compiler must generate an error (and stop compiling) when the
sourcecode of a module contains both spaces and tabs to indent the
lines of code (and comments lines too?).

Bye,
bearophile