Wheel-reinvention with Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 2 20:42:01 EDT 2005

zen19725 at zen.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:42:53 -0400, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>>zen19725 at zen.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:
>>> In practise any Python GUI is going to contain code from otyher
>>> languages since if it was coded all the way down in python it would
>>> be too slow.
>>Not necessarily. My window manger is Python all the way down
> Your X server is written in Python? :-)

I see the smiley, but just to make sure no one is confused, the answer
is no. My window manager is written in Python. Unlike monolithic
programs in proprietary OS's, X seperates the window manager from the
thing that actually paints pixels on the screen. It's possible to run
the window manager on another computer entirely, and people used to
sell boxes that ran in that configuration out of the box.

>> - it uses
>>the Python Xlib implementation - and is plenty fast.
>>Of course, it doesn't do a lot of graphics work, even for a window
>>manager.
> That's what I mean: painting the individual pixels on the screen.

Well, no X graphics package will get any closer to that than my python
window manager. The python code sends packets to the X server, and
parses what comes back from it.

       <mike