Jargons of Info Tech industry

usenet at isbd.co.uk usenet at isbd.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 07:28:36 EDT 2005

In comp.lang.perl.misc John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote:
> usenet at isbd.co.uk wrote:
>
> > "NNTP and its applications" have evolved to provide a set of much more
> > sophisticated means of accessing and giving information than any forum
> > I've ever seen.
>
> Example(s). And do users need those sophisticated things?

Kill files

Selecting posts and threads based on a scoring system

A huge variety of different newsreaders allowing different users to
access the news in they way they want.

I don't use all the possibilities (e.g. I don't use kill files) but I
do use a 'minority' text based newsreader because it is ideal for me.
I don't get the option of a text based forum reader - I doubt many
forums work with lynx.

--
Chris Green