Jargons of Info Tech industry

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 23 23:55:38 EDT 2005

"Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> writes:

> "l v" <lv at aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1124804082_1011 at spool6-east.superfeed.net...
>> Xah Lee wrote:
>>> (circa 1996), and email should be text only (anti-MIME, circa 1995),
>>
>> I think e-mail should be text only.  I have both my email and news readers
>> set to display in plain text only.  It prevents the marketeers and
>> spammers from obtaining feedback that my email address is valid.  A
>> surprising amount of information can be obtained from your computer by
>> allowing HTML and all of it's baggage when executing on your computer.
>> Phishing comes to my mind first and it works because people click the link
>> without looking to see where the link really takes them.
>
> A formatting-only subset of HTML would be useful for both e-mail and Usenet
> posts.

Used to be people who wanted to send formatted text via email would
use rich text. It never really caught on. But given that most of the
people sending around formatted text are using point-n-click GUIs to
create the stuff, the main advantage of HTML - that it's easy to write
by hand - isn't needed.

   <mike