Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Aug 4 01:43:11 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
>>
>>> Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> You didn't answer the question about how you define agile
>>> project. Please do so if you expect a comment on this.
>>
>> Projects with a high Sourceforge activity index.
>
> That doesn't seem to match the common defintion of "agile" when it
> comes to programming. Then again, you have a habit of using words
> to mean whatever you want, without much reference to how they're
> used by the rest of the industry.

I'm not part of the industry.

Sorry, but now the arguments are getting destructive.  Agile
programming is a fixed phase, which I've never used.  (And which
makes no sense in this discussion.)

> [...]
>
> Sorry, but you're wrong. FORTRAN is very much a general purpose
> language.  [...]

It's not about the potential use of a language, but its actual use.

> [...]
>
>>> You can't have it both ways. Either C/C++ is all legacy code, or
>>> it's not.
>>
>> ... is wrong in my opinion.  Why should this be?
>
> Because any given proposition is either true or false.

If I say "most people are right-handed", then this means neither
that all people are right-handed nor that none is.

> [...]
>
>>> There are *lots* of applications areas that don't need GUIs, and
>>> don't run on Windows.
>>
>> This becomes a discussion about estimates we both don't know
>> exactly, and weight differently, so I'll leave it here.
>
> No, it's not a discussion about estimates. The average household
> in a G8 country has more computers that don't run Windows - and in
> fact don't have GUIs at all - than otherwise. [...]

However, it's about the types of software which is being produced
today.

Tschö,
Torsten.