minidom xml & non ascii / unicode & files

webdev webdev at chaosmedia.org
Sat Aug 6 05:32:09 EDT 2005

Thx Martin for your comments.

indeed the charset of the web document is set in the meta tag, it's
iso-8859-1 so i'll decode it to unicode using something like:

html = html.decode('iso-8859-1')

html then contains the unicode version of the html document

As i've finally managed to make this work i'll post here my comments on
the few things i still don't understand, maybe you can explain why it
works that way with more technical terms than i can provide myself..

So the whole thing is to regex parse some html document, and store the
results inside an xml file that can be parsed again by python minidom
for further use..

############### CODE START ###############

import urllib, string, codecs, types
import sys, traceback, os.path, re, shutil
import cachedhttp

from xml.dom.minidom import parse, parseString

NODE_ELEMENT=1
NODE_ATTRIBUTE=2
NODE_TEXT=3
NODE_CDATA_SECTION=4

httpFetcher=cachedhttp.CachedHTTP()

# Fetch Menu Links Page, httpFetcher is from the cachedhttp lib
developped by someone for another script, it returns a bytestring from
the local cached file, once downloaded of the internet, using a simple f
= open(file,'r') & f.read()

data = httpFetcher.urlopen('http://www.canalplus.fr/pid6.htm')
data = data.decode('iso-8859-1')
# at that point i have my html document in unicode

# utf8bin.xml is an utf-8 encoded xml file, "bin" is because of the way
i have to use to save it back to file, see at bottom
dom = parse('utf8bin.xml')

# find the data we need from the html document
# title contains the text and so some special chars
x = re.compile('<li[^>]*>[^<]*<a
re.DOTALL|re.IGNORECASE|re.UNICODE)
for match in x.finditer(data):
	urlid = match.group('url')
	url = match.expand('http://www.canalplus.fr/\g<url>')
	title = match.expand('\g<title>')
	# everything here is still unicode objects

	match = None
	nodes = dom.getElementsByTagName('page')
	for node in nodes:
		if GetNodeValue(node,'title') == title:
		print 'Found Match: ' + title + ' == ' + GetNodeValue(node,'title')
		match = node
		break

	if match is None:
		# create page node and set attributes
		newnode = dom.createElement('page')
		att = dom.createAttribute('id')
		newnode.setAttributeNode(att)
		newnode.setAttribute('id',urlid)

		# create title childnode and set CDATA section
		vnode = dom.createElement('title')
		newnode.appendChild(vnode)
		dnode = dom.createCDATASection(title)
		vnode.appendChild(dnode)

		# create value childnode and set CDATA section
		vnode = dom.createElement('value')
		newnode.appendChild(vnode)
		dnode = dom.createCDATASection(url)
		vnode.appendChild(dnode)

		root = dom.documentElement
		root.appendChild(newnode)

f = open('utf8bin.xml', 'wb')
f.write(dom.toxml(encoding="utf-8"))
f.close()

# just to make sure we can still parse our xml file
print '\nParsing utf8bin.xml and Printing titles'
dom = parse('utf8bin.xml')
nodes = dom.getElementsByTagName('page')
for node in nodes:
	print GetNodeValue(node,'title')

# Some xml helper functions
# GetNodeText returns a unicode object
def GetNodeText(node):
	dout=''
	for tnode in node.childNodes:
		if (tnode.nodeType==NODE_TEXT)|(tnode.nodeType==NODE_CDATA_SECTION):
			dout=dout+tnode.nodeValue
	return dout

# GetNodeValue returns a unicode object or None
def GetNodeValue(node,tag=None):
	if tag is None: return GetNodeText(node)
	nattr=node.attributes.getNamedItem(tag)
	if not (nattr is None): return nattr.value
	for child in node.childNodes:
		if child.nodeName == tag:
			return GetNodeText(child)
	return None

############### CODE END ###############

Now the comments :

so what i understood of all this, is that once you're using unicode
objects you're safe !
At least as long as you don't use statements or operators that will
implicitely try to convert the unicode object back to bytestring using
your default encoding (ascii) which will most certainly result in codec
Errors...

Also, minidom seems to use unicode object what was not really documented
in the python 2.3 doc i've read about it..

so passing the unicode object from my regex matches to minidom elements
will make minidom behave nicely..

If you start to pass encoded bytestrings to minidom elements it may fail
  when you call "toxml()".. I know i managed to do that once or twice i
don't remember exactly what kind of bytestrings i passed to the minidom
element but one thing's for sure it made "toxml()" fail whatever
encoding you specify..

So if you stick to unicode, it will then encode all that unicode content
to whatever encoding you've specified when calling
"dom.toxml(encoding="utf-8")"
then you just have to store the output of that as it is without any
further encoding

As a matter of fact using the following sequence will most certainly fail :
f = codecs.open('utf8codecs.xml', 'w', 'utf-8')
f.write(dom.toxml(encoding="utf-8"))
f.close()

then again maybe this will work, i just thought of it..
f = codecs.open('utf8codecs.xml', 'w', 'utf-8')
f.write(dom.toxml())
f.close()

I didn't understand at first that once you're using unicode object and
as long as you've properly decoded your bytestring source, then unicode
is unicode and you can forget about encodings "ascii", "iso-", "utf-"..

The next important thing is to make sure to use functions and objects
that support unicode all the way, like minidom seems to do..

my original script has another function "FindDataNode" that will do a
more sofisticated loop, into the dom object you provide, in order to
check if there's already a node with the same title, and i use there
some .lower() methods and a another "Sanitize" function that replaces a
few chars.. So i guess i'll have to make sure that none of those
manipulations converts my unicode obect back to bytestrings..

Thx for reading, let me know if you see really really weird (bad?)
things in my code, or if you have further comments to add on the unicode
topic..

Marc