using Pyro for network games

Michael Rybak accepted at ukr.net
Tue Aug 2 04:39:29 EDT 2005

gn20kjss> Do not use pyro, use simple UDP protocol.
gn20kjss> I've written networked tetris in python, communicating via
gn20kjss> UDP protocol, and used it successfully on very congested lines.

Would you please be so kind to share that with me? That would be
greatly helpful, because 1) I'd run it together with my friend to see
what speed I can get from UDP 2) I'd grasp the networking part of your
code and reuse it.

gn20kjss> If all you need is to transfer pointer coordinates, UDP is perfect since
gn20kjss> you do not need feedback.

gn20kjss> use something like this for server:

gn20kjss> import socket
gn20kjss> s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
gn20kjss> s.bind(('', port))
gn20kjss> while 1:
gn20kjss>     data, addr = s.recvfrom(1024)
gn20kjss>     print `data`

gn20kjss> and for client:

gn20kjss> import socket

gn20kjss> outsock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
gn20kjss> outsock.bind(('', 0))
gn20kjss> outsock.sendto('message', ('server-hostname', server_port))
Would you recommend some reading on this? I have some immediate
questions to your code, but don't want to flood here. OK, I will flood
here a bit: what's the print `` syntax?

P.S. I loved your virus alert ;)

gn20kjss> --
gn20kjss> | Radovan Garabik http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
gn20kjss> | __..--^^^--..__    garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk     |
gn20kjss> Antivirus alert: file .signature infected by signature virus.
gn20kjss> Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

--
Best Regards,
 Michael Rybak                       mailto:accepted at ukr.net