pywin32 from network install

agostino.russo at gmail.com agostino.russo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 06:40:17 EDT 2005

I managed to make pywin32 work from a network installation (not really
hard work: a shared folder + copying some dlls + setting PYTHONPATH).
PythonWin amd COM seem to be working fine from the network install, BUT
when I need to pass PyTime to a COM object expecting a Date I get the
following error:

Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 251, in
_ApplyTypes_
    result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags, retType,
argTypes) + args)
TypeError: Objects of type 'time' can not be converted to a COM VARIANT

Note 1: The same code works when using the local installation of
python/pywin, it only happens when executing the code from a network
"installation".

Note 2: As mentioned other COM components seem to be working when
running them via pywin from the network install

Note 3: I am passing pywintipes.Time(datetime.datetime.today()) to a
COM object method which expects a Date argument.

Do I need to change some environment variable/registry settings/other
hack to fix this?