Fat and happy Pythonistas (was Re: Replacement for keyword 'global' good idea? ...)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Aug 6 09:47:43 EDT 2005

John Roth wrote:
> It's not going to happen because the Python community is fat and happy,
> and is not seeing the competition moving up on the outside. Characteristics
> that make a great language one day make a mediocre one a few years
> later, and make a has-been a few years after that.

And here I thought that was the point of Python 3000.  To let the
community produce a much improved language while avoiding the problems
caused by too much change occurring while people are trying to get
useful things done with what the language is _now_.  The competition
(and let's see a description of just what that means, too) probably has
the dual advantage of newness and a small, hackerish community that is
more than happy to see rapid and radical change.  You're right -- as
with the stereotypical large/slow vs. small/agile company motif -- that
smaller and more agile will pass larger and slow "on the outside", but
you're wrong if you think that means the larger-slower entity should
drop what it's been doing so well and try to compete entirely on the
smaller-faster entity's own ground.

BTW, I think "large and stable" would have been less offensive than "fat
and happy", but perhaps you meant to imply we're both lazy and
complacent, rather than just satisfied with something that works and not
inclined to shoot for moving targets every working day.  If so, I'm not
sure why you'd say that, since the evidence doesn't support it.

-Peter