Jargons of Info Tech industry

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Aug 26 20:56:48 EDT 2005

John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> writes:
> Chris Head <chris2k01 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I mean, the way
>> Webmail works, you're at the message list and click on a message to
>> view. This causes a whole new page, user-interface and all, to be
>> loaded. In comparison, that's like shutting down and re-opening your
>> e-mail program for every single message you want to view!
> This can be designed much better by using iframes, maybe even Ajax.

Definitely with Ajax. That's one of the things it does really well.

>> Why can't we use the Web for what it was meant for: viewing hypertext
>> pages? Why must we turn it into a wrapper around every application
>> imaginable?
> Because it works?

Because you can - if you know how to use HTML properly - distribute
your application to platforms you've never even heard of - like the
Nokia Communicator.

I started writing web apps when I was doing internal tools development
for a software development company that had 90+ different platform
types installed inhouse. It was a *godsend*. By deploying one
well-written app, I could make everyone happy, without having to do
versions for the Mac, Windows, DOS (this was a while ago), getting it
to compile on umpteen different Unix version, as well as making it
work on proprietary workstation OS's.

Of course, considering the state of most of the HTML on the web, I
have *no* idea why most of them are doing this.

     <mike