Save Binary data.

Larry Bates lbates at syscononline.com
Fri Aug 19 10:58:22 EDT 2005

Images are binary data, don't do anything to them just save them
to files on disk in their binary format.  The extra processing of
pickling them isn't going to help.  Directories with large
numbers of files was a problem in FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems but
not really a problem in NTFS or Linux (at least that I've found).
Appending 100-200 images together into a single file will surely
cut down on the number of files.  A lot depends on what the next
step in the process is expecting (e.g. individual files or a
a stream of data).  If it is individual files, you will have to
split them back apart anyway so keeping them as individual files
is a benefit.

Larry Bates