Catching stderr output from graphical apps

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Wed Aug 10 08:45:12 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
 > Bryan Olson wrote:
 >
 >> Here's a module to show stderr output from console-less Python
 >> apps, and stay out of the way otherwise. I plan to make a ASPN
 >> recipe of it, but I thought I'd run it by this group first.
 >
 > For what it's worth, I believe you've basically duplicated the
 > functionality available in wxPython in the standard App object.

I'm not a wxPython user, but what I've heard is that it tries to
write stderr to a regular window within the process. Crashing
apps vanish from the screen, taking their error windows with
them. Most any GUI toolkit has to return to its event-loop
before it will update the screen, preventing it from showing
messages of fatal errors.

--
--Bryan