Decline and fall of scripting languages ?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Aug 8 22:43:44 EDT 2005

Well, I tried sending this via email, but I can't derive a valid
address from Paul's anti-spammed address.

My apologies to the rest of you for this.

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
> Should that bother me?  I should say, my interest in Ocaml or Haskell
> is not just to try out something new, but also as a step up from both
> Python and C/C++ for writing practical code.  That is, I'm looking for
> something with good abstraction (unlike Java) and type safety (unlike
> C/C++), but for the goal of writing high performance code (like
> C/C++).  I'm even (gasp) thinking of checking out Ada.

If you're thinking about checking out Ada, you might want to take a
look at D. I haven't gotten very far into it myself (I was attracted
by DbC), but it looks like a modern redesign of C: GC, OO, and
typedefs that actually define new types, while still being something
it's possible to generate reasonably fast code for.

         <mike