ideas for university project ??

Jon Hewer jonhewer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 08:13:51 EDT 2005

On 8/26/05, bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> 1st question, can this be part of a startup?
> 2nd question, does your university expect to own the rights/IP of your
> efforts
> 3rd question, are you serious, or just looking for a 'project' for a grade

I am pretty sure the university will hold any rights.

I am not just looking for a project for a grade, I want to do
something interesting and useful, and I also need to start thinking
about the future, and if I really enjoy my project then maybe it's
something I'd consider focusing on in the future.

> if you're serious, we can use your help! we're starting a project to create
> a business dealing with used texbooks for universities on US/Canadian
> college campuses. think ebay/craigslist meets the college campus.
>
> the project will invlove a great deal of distributed/parallel processing as
> we build the grid/spidering functionality to create the underlying
> databases..

I don't think my university would be too keen on this, because any
work I do will, I expect, largely depend on the work of others....if
something falls through then I'd be a bit screwed.  But thanks anyway
for the suggestion.

It would, however, be perfectly acceptable to build upon a well
established piece of open source software - this is very common.

Thanks for all of the other suggestions, I'll research them a little
bit more, and I may email some of you directly for more info if that's
ok.

Keep the ideas rolling :-)