Decline and fall of scripting languages ?

Paul Rubin http
Tue Aug 16 04:39:56 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:
>   So I think a (maybe not achievable) performance goal
> is for the web app to use 50% of the available cycles making html, and
> the other 50% go to gzipping the html.  That means that the app should
> make dynamic output as fast as gzip can compress it,

It occurs to me that if the html pages are generated from templates
with little bits of executable code, then maybe the static parts of
the templates can be gzipped ahead of time, and a lot of the dynamic
stuff is cacheable and can be gzipped ahead of time.  (gzip is sort of
a "linear operator" in that gzip(a)+gzip(b) is a valid though not
maximally efficient gzip encoding for gzip(a+b)).  That could save
some cpu cycles at the expense of impaired compression ratio.  Hmm.