Permutation Generator

Matt Hammond matt.hammond at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 04:18:29 EDT 2005

Just satisfied my curiosity wrt this problem, so I might as well share :-)

>>> def permute(list):
...     if len(list) <= 1:
...         yield list
...     else:
...         for i in xrange(0,len(list)):
...             for tail in permute( list[:i] + list[i+1:] ):
...                 yield [ list[i] ] + tail
>>> for o in permute([1,2,3]):
...     print o
[1, 2, 3]
[1, 3, 2]