Wheel-reinvention with Python

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Mon Aug 1 14:46:04 EDT 2005

Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:

> > In practise any Python GUI is going to contain code from otyher
> > languages since if it was coded all the way down in python it would
> > be too slow.
>
> Oh, I could imagine that a MFC-like wrapper around win32gui, or another
> one around Xlib wouldn't be slower that wxWidgets is today.
>
> Reinhold

Hi Reinhold,

did You have a look at 'venster'?

http://venster.sourceforge.net/htdocs/index.html

They even dropped win32gui and worked with ctypes and the Win32API
reducing the C-footprint. For frameworks like Dabo, AnyGUI, PyGUI etc.
this would be the right level to create an abstraction layer IMO. By
the way the demo applications of venster run stable and fast on WinXP.

Kay