Well, another try Re: while c = f.read(1)

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 20 07:03:45 EDT 2005

James Kim wrote:

>Robert Kern wrote:
>

>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>

>Is it a *smart* way or *necessary* way?

Of course it's not *necessary*.  I mean, the world isn't going to come
to an end if it doesn't happen.  There is no logical contingency making
it so.  But, if everyone in the group adheres to the ESR "smart
questions" guide, what's the difference?

>Plus, my question was not for the detail description but for the
>intuitive guide leading the beginner's further study.

But, I'll try to answer your question the best I can.  From a
quasi-sensory intuitive level, ``iter`` is red - kinda warm - and smells
a little like cinnamon, but not too strong.  ``lambda`` on the other
hand is blue-green, sometimes grey, cooler, almost cold, has a damp feel
to it, and tastes like pork - not chicken, mind you - that's the ``for``
statement.

>I understand that too many repeated talks make cyberian tired. However,
>over and over discussions of basic concepts is also very important for
>technology enhancements.

Here's the deal.  If you have a general question about something, ask
it.  But ask smartly.  For example, "What is the benefit of using
``iter`` as opposed to something else?  What are the alternatives to
using ``iter``?"  Asking questions like "What are the meanings of
Commands 'iter' and 'lambda'" will not fly well here - and you may find
less so elsewhere.  The reason is, it smells of laziness (I'm not saying
you *are* lazy - that's just the impression it leaves) and this group is
full of people who have reached for the docs, wrestled with them, and
have come away from it better informed programmers.

>Thus, Commands 'iter' and 'lambda' should be
>discussed over and over about their necessity and convenience

This is different from what you were asking.  I quoted your exact words
above and it's different from what you're asking here.  And I'm not so
sure I would put a *should* on your statement.  I think usage
discussions of different functions, standard library modules, practices,
etc. *will* arise perpetually.  But I don't think we *need* to
constantly bat around the necessity of X keyword or Y function or Z
module.  Convenience - probably.  Necessity - no.

>in the
>news-group as long as they are the principle keywords distinguished from
>the conventional languages like c/c++, pascal, etc.
>
>-James

So, if you have a question that's in line with Robert's advice, please
post it and it will have a much higher chance of getting answered.  I
sincerely hope this helps.

Jeremy Jones