PEP: Specialization Syntax

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Aug 9 01:12:06 EDT 2005

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:24:15 -0400, Nicolas Fleury <nid_oizo at yahoo.com_removethe_> wrote:

>Bengt Richter wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:18:50 -0400, Nicolas Fleury <nid_oizo at yahoo.com_removethe_> wrote:
>>>I wrote the PEP to see if was the only one that would benefit from
>>>generic types *before* having optional static typing in the language.
>>>
>>>It seems I'm the only one;)
>>>
>>>According to blog entry 86641, Guido himself is prototyping with
>>>__getitem__.  However, I cannot do the same, because the framework I use
>>>is much more complete and keyword arguments are a must.
>>>
>> Here is a decorator object to set up function call dispatch according to type.
>> It only uses positional arguments, but could be fleshed out, I think.
>> Not tested beyond what you see ;-)
>
>That's nice.  Guido also posted this multimethods solution:
>http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=101605

When I first read that, I thought you meant he had posted the very same thing.
Anyway, maybe mine is different enough to be a little interesting ;-)

>The only thing I was saying it that I can use generic types in Python
>right now (and I do), by using (), but I can't with what will probably
>be the syntax in future, i.e. using [].

Ok ;-) <gesture action="magic handwave"/> Maybe sometime in the future
it will be possible to modify the language grammar and define a few classes
and regenerate a whole new python interpreter that interprets new syntax.

Regards,
Bengt Richter