MacPython 2.2 on Mac OS X 10.3.8 - configurePython error

Paul Miller paul at fxtech.com
Fri Aug 26 16:14:17 EDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Paul Miller wrote:
>
>>Robert Kern wrote:
>

>>>MacPython 2.2 has been long abandoned. The
>>>official OS X binary for Python 2.4.1 can be found here:
>>>
>>>http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg
>>
>>I realize that, but I have an application that is linked with MacPython
>>2.2. I can't just drop 2.4 in.
>

> Is this an application that you've written? If so, then I realize that
> you can't just drop 2.4 in painlessly, but you really should consider
> upgrading your software to use a newer Python. No one is going to
> support MacPython 2.2.

Yes, this is an app I have written. I could take the time to rebuild it
with the latest Python, yes.

However, the simpler solution seemed to be to try to figure out why it
won't reconfigure itself. I have OS X 10.3.8 and a clean install works
perfectly fine. Surely someone somewhere has used MacPython 2.2 on OS X
10.3.8 and heard of a similar issue, with ConfigurePythonCarbon not
working after preferences were destroyed.

This is why I asked here.

>>He claims the only thing that has changed is his preferences were wiped
>>out. There must be some solution for what is probably a not too uncommon
>>problem.
>
> It *is* uncommon. Judging from the traffic on the Pythonmac-SIG,
> virtually no one is using MacPython 2.2 anymore. You can ask for help on
> there, but I don't think you'll fare any better.

Perhaps I am the only developer with a legacy application he's trying to
support. But I doubt it.