The ONLY thing that prevents me from using Python

Paul Rubin http
Sat Aug 6 20:32:19 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:
> The only way ISPs will find out that Python is popular is if potential
> customers tell them they need it. So if they say no, be *sure* and
> tell them you won't be using them because of that.

I think the issue is low cost web hosts, not ISP's.  PHP is much more
available than Python among low cost hosts because those languages let
multiple user scripts run in the same process without being able to
mess with each others' data.  That means the hosting service can run a
single Apache instance with mod_php and thousands of virtual hosts all
on the same IP address without needing to fork new processes for every
user script.  I'm not sure if mod_perl is the same way.

Some hosts do let you use perl cgi's, forking a new process for every
script invocation, and those hosts may as well also offer Python.  But
I think the really cheap hosts don't let you use any cgi's.