>time.strftime %T missing in 2.3

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sun Aug 21 03:58:09 EDT 2005

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:02:48 -0500, Andy Leszczynski <leszczynscyATnospam.yahoo.com.nospam> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> Andy Leszczynski wrote:
>>
>>> Python 2.2/Unix
>>>
>>>  >>time.strftime("%T")
>>> '22:12:15'
>>>  >>time.strftime("%X")
>>> '22:12:17'
>>>
>>> Python 2.3/Windows
>>>
>>>  >>time.strftime("%X")
>>> '22:12:47'
>>>  >> time.strftime("%T")
>>> ''
>>

>>  From http://docs.python.org/lib/node252.html
>>
>> """The full set of format codes supported varies across platforms,
>> because Python calls the platform C library's strftime() function, and
>> platform variations are common."""
>>
>> So I suggest that it's a platform issue, not a Python version issue. FWIW:
>>
>> Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
>> [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
>>  >>> import time
>>  >>> time.strftime("%T")
>> '22:50:49'
>>  >>> time.strftime("%X")
>> '22:50:59'
>>

> I accept that, but still pain. Took me a while to filter out the problem
> in the code running on the Unix and not on M$.

I can imagine ...

By the way, you should probably /not/ change %T to %X.

%T (standardized in the Singe Unix Specification) is the same thing as ANSI
C %H:%M:%S which should be usable everywhere. %X on the other hand is "The
preferred time representation for the current locale without the date".
Not the same thing at all, for some users.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!