Jargons of Info Tech industry

Denis Kasak denis.kasak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:43:19 EDT 2005

John Bokma wrote:
> Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann at web.de> wrote:
>
>> John Bokma wrote:
>>> http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
>>
>> Great.  How can I, the user, choose, how to use a mod on a given web
>> server?
>
> Ask the admin?

And that is, in your opinion, completely comparable to running your own,
private client? Is the admin obliged to install the mod? Is the admin
even reachable?

>> What if the web server runs another board than PHPBB?
>
> Check if there is a mod, and ask the admin.

See above.

>>> Does the user want this? And with a user stylesheet you can change it
>>> quite radically :-)
>>
>> The look, not the feel.
>
> Wild guess: (signed) javascript and iframes? on your local computer?
>
> Otherwise: fetch HTML, parse it, restructure it, and have the
> application run a local webserver. Python, Perl, piece of cake.

You seem to be forgetting that we are mainly talking about end users
here who most probably will not have the sufficient expertise to do all
that. And even if they do, it's still time consuming.