How to build Python modules on windows?

. (dot) "markusweimer\" at ipsi(dot)fraunhofer(.)de
Tue Aug 16 03:56:42 EDT 2005

Hi,

>>how can I build python modules on windows? I tried to build numarray[0]
>>using Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, but got the following error:
>>
>>---
>>error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and
>>extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but
>>it isn't installed.
>>---
>

> Are you sure you have setup the environment variables before you build?
>
> Here is a reference: "Building Python Extensions with the MS Toolkit
> Compiler" (http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/)

Thanks for the pointer. The page states at the beginning:

"Note that this document represents the findings of a very limited set
of tests with what is essentially an unsupported approach to building
extensions.  You should expect to find bugs.  No warranty is made that
the approach outlined is safe or appropriate."

This raises the question: What is the 'supported' way of building
extensions on Windows? Do I need Visual Studio for that?

Thanks in advance,

Markus