Decline and fall of scripting languages ?

Paul Rubin http
Sun Aug 7 01:06:05 EDT 2005

"Kay Schluehr" <kay.schluehr at gmx.net> writes:
> The whole ML family ( including OCaml ) and languages like Haskell
> based on a Hindley-Milnor type system clearly make a difference. I
> would say that those languages are also cutting edge in language theory
> research. It should be definitely interesting to you. Since there is no
> single language implementation you might also find one that supports
> concepts you need most e.g. concurrency:
>
> http://cml.cs.uchicago.edu/

Thanks.  That link doesn't work right now but I'll try again later.

I wonder why the ML's didn't just dispense with the syntax nonsense
and present themselves unabashedly as statically typed Lisp dialects
complete with parentheses.

For concurrency, Oz looks neat, but probably doomed to Python-like
slow performance (at least the shootout benchmarks have been pretty
poor).  I find it easier to understand than ML though I haven't coded
anything in it either.  I wonder if using logic variables for
inter-thread communication without careful conventions can lead to
total spaghetti.

I also want to check out Erlang and Occam, in my copious free time.