Dabo in 30 seconds?

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.corp
Mon Aug 1 12:56:28 EDT 2005

Cliff Wells wrote:
> I can understand this, but from my experience, their concerns are badly
> misplaced:  I recently wrote a fairly sizable Python app (~8K LOC) that
> utilized several 3rd party python librarys: wxPython, Twisted,
> FeedParser, DateUtils and SQLite to name a few off the top of my head
> (plus I had to repackage libxml and libxslt on OS/X because 10.3 ships
> with broken versions :P).
>
> It ran on Windows and OS/X (and Linux, but that was never deployed as
> the customer wasn't interested).  This was for a *very* large customer
> and made it to nearly 10,000 desktops.  Not one complaint had to do with
> installation of 3rd party packages.  Why?  Because I *packaged* it for

Actual success stories like this one are often more convincing than
general remarks about how any problem is solvable, given enough effort.

> In short, these people's complaints reveal only two things: 1) they are
> hopelessly pessimistic, whether out of pure laziness, lack of experience

It might be very specific experiences. Many people using third party
controls with Visual Basic got burned.

> endeavor.  As I mentioned earlier, programming is half brains and half
> tenacity.

I'd add a bit of gambling, because often, you don't have enough
information. Telling what works from your experience adds useful
information so that the brain can decide where to invest the tenacity.

Daniel