pre-PEP: Object-oriented file module

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 25 19:19:54 EDT 2005

Kenneth McDonald wrote:
> Why would any of the issues below be any more difficult than they are with
> the current file functions? I'm not proposing a C replacement for current
> functions, merely a Python module that wraps all of those functions (and
> adds some additional ones) in an appropriate class.

I'm not saying they are difficult. I want to know how your library deals
with them. There is a good chance that some of these questions remain
unanswered in the PEP, and I just want to indicate that I would be
unhappy if they are. Specifying this API is a huge task, much more so
than coming up with an implementation that does "something".

This is one of the reasons why nothing like this has made it to the
standard library: as a library module, it would have to face many
more scenarios that the authors of the module originally did not
consider. Therefore, the documentation must be complete and consistent,
and there should be an agreement as to what this library can do and
what it cannot do.

Regards,
Martin