micro-python - is it possible?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Aug 30 10:26:55 EDT 2005

On 2005-08-30, Evil Bastard <spam at me.please> wrote:

> Has anyone done any serious work on producing a subset of python's
> language definition that would suit it to a tiny microcontroller
> environment?

No, not a tiny microcontroller environment.  In the
microcontroller world, "tiny" means 100 bytes of ram and 4KB of
code space.  OTOH, if you want to talk about medium-large uC
stuff (hundreds of KB or RAM and code space), somebody did port
and old version of Python to something like that.  Google for
"deeply embedded python".

> Is it even possible to devise a tiny python subset that has at least
> some of python's advantages, but at the same time can be compiled to
> low-footprint resource-lean code?

I doubt it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I appoint you
                                  at               ambassador to Fantasy